Monday, January 11, 2010

First herding of '10

Went back to herding for the first time this year. Ok nine days into the new year, but still. Fell over backwards a lot. Over sheep, over cones, over my own feet. It wasn't a great day herding-wise either. These were the lightest sheep we'd dealt with yet, in the biggest field yet. Kola wanted to chase them, or at least take them away and got pretty sulky when Dave told her she wasn't supposed to do either of those things.

My resolution is to not overdo it with the pressure so her sulking kindof got to me. She kept getting distracted and discouraged. The sheep would run off and she'd stop and get a drink or come back to me looking at me like, "mom, bad news: no more sheep. Love me anyway?" I felt bad because when she finally did bring me the sheep I praised her but then I had to get after her again right away for being too pushy. I want my heavy sheep back. :(

After a little rest she regained her enthusiasm but retained some of her hesitation as to what to do. She wants to cut in early and push the sheep around me in a circle rather than bring them to me. Very annoying. Not as annoying as the cutting and chasing. So, not a promising start to the new year but, there's nowhere to go but up, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment